Being safe on the internet is a challenge in today’s world. As much as you would not like to think that anyone out there would harm your child, you need to be aware of the dangers that lie out there for children on the internet. We have compiled a list of 10 tips to help keep your children safe on the internet.
- Teach children to keep personal information private: Explain to children the importance of not sharing personal information such as full name, address, and phone number online, except with trusted resources.
- Encourage the use of strong passwords: Teach kids to use strong and unique passwords for their online accounts and to avoid using easily guessable information, such as their name or birthdate.
- Warn about suspicious links: Explain to children the dangers of clicking on links in emails or on websites that look suspicious or come from unknown sources. These links could lead to phishing scams or malware.
- Monitor online activity: Regularly check in on your children’s online activity to ensure they are staying safe and using the internet responsibly.
- Use parental controls: Consider using parental controls to restrict access to inappropriate websites or content and to set limits on screen time.
- Educate about online predators: Teach children about online predators and how to identify and avoid them.
- Discuss online behavior: Talk to your children about online behavior and the importance of treating others with kindness and respect.
- Set limits on social media: Set rules and guidelines for your children’s use of social media, such as the amount of time they are allowed to spend on it or the type of content they can share.
- Be open to questions: Encourage children to ask questions and express any concerns they may have about their online experiences.
- Stay informed: Stay up to date on the latest online safety tips and resources and continue to educate yourself and your children about internet safety.
Always be mindful when your children are on the internet and make sure to stay informed on any and all safety tips.
Operation Light Shine’s main purpose is to create, fund, develop and equip INTERCEPT Task Forces. Operation Light Shine provides everything the INTERCEPT Task Force needs from advanced technology, software, enterprise solutions, public and private partnerships necessary to support the multidisciplinary model, investigative equipment, coordination between domestic and international HT/CE operations, forensic capabilities, subject matter experts, advanced training, research and development all the way to covering rent, utilities and office supplies at each task force. Click the button below to join the fight!